News and updates
Important Coronavirus Update
Safe Return to College Video & Booklet
Staff are looking forward to welcoming new and returning students and apprentices over the next week or so. The first term back for learning in College since March will see huge changes for us all, however we are confident that, by working together, we will be able to provide the quality learning experience our students deserve.
Over the summer period a lot of preparation has taken place across all of The Bedford College Group's campuses to ensure everyone’s safety as much as possible but this will mean that we all have a responsibility to follow the guidance.
To highlight all the changes that have taken place watch the video below or download our booklet which includes what to expect on your first day at College or how things have changed if you're returning for the next year of your course.
Results Days 2020
Following announcements during August from Ofqual and also BTEC who made changes to the way GCSEs, A-Levels and other Level 2 and 3 qualifications were being awarded all students have been sent emails to their registered email accounts to keep them up-to-date.
Our exams team are sending text messages once the College has received students’ results to advise them to visit the ProPortal link via Moodle using the usual username and password they use to log on to Moodle/College computers using the following link: https://proportal.bedford.ac.uk/
Enrolment and Applications
Induction packs are being sent out over the next two weeks (starting from today) to applicants and returning students to provide more details about the first day at College including where to arrive, safety guidance for travelling to College and moving around campus.
First week back for students
Limited numbers of students will be on site at any one time to allow for social distancing protocols but we ask that everyone works together to ensure that all students get the most of their first few days.
Campus opening for planning and preparation for September return
All students will notice that central spaces across all campuses have been re-organised to ensure that social distancing is followed. Everyone on campus must follow the signage across each campus to direct students, staff and visitors around the buildings.
From the start of term there will be limited refreshment facilities open on campuses and contactless water machines are being installed. All catering provisions, including vending machines will be available using contactless payment only.
New social distancing measures:
Last week the government published further updates and guidance for schools and colleges and we continue to follow the latest advice to prepare campuses for staff and students. All students and staff are expected to follow the latest guidance ato make our campuses a safe environment for all.
Some of the most recent developments include the following:
- There will be an expectation for students, staff and visitors to wear face coverings when moving around campus. This follows the latest guidance from the government, that face coverings are being encouraged around campus buildings except within classrooms and offices. It is important to remember that within catering facilities these should be worn unless eating.
- Classrooms and social spaces have been reorganised to adhere to the 2m social distancing rules as wherever possible and no one is to sit face to face.
- Students should not remain on site once their lessons or support sessions have finished unless they have been requested to stay by their tutor or if it is during breaks between lessons. Please remember to follow the social distancing guidelines and if this is not possible you should wear face coverings.
- Students must not visit other classrooms without prior permission.
- Students must follow the directional signage in place at all sites and ensure that they adhere to the social distancing rules. Please do not congregate in corridors or reception areas and no one should be closer than a minimum of 1m+ at any time.
- Students are expected to bring all their equipment and PPE required for their lessons as we do not recommend that equipment is shared.
The latest official guidance from the government can be found here.
Wellingborough campus opening
On Monday 14 September our new look Wellingborough campus will be opening to students after an £11m redevelopment project.
The project teams based in Wellingborough have continued to work on site safely and will be delivering a campus fit for 21st century learning on time and within budget.
The new look campus allows The Bedford College Group to welcome another 1,000 students from in and around the town to improve the skills levels of school leavers and adults which has been highlighted as one of the lowest skilled areas in England.